Wednesday, April 19, 2017

UC Merced Field Trip

On Tuesday April 11th Carter had a field trip to the Physics department at UC Merced.  I was lucky to be one of the parents that was asked to go on it with the class.  It was an amazing opportunity for his class to go on this trip, they where one of only 3 classes that were invited.  Anika, one of Carter's classmates parents both work as professors in the Science department.  The whole department treated the kids like royalty and I was amazed with all the things we got to do and all the hands on learning opportunities the children and I had that day. 
 Carter and Maddox
 I got to go on the bus too and I was so happy that my little man wanted to sit with me! Another little guy whose mom was there asked her to sit some where else so I felt special that Carter saved me a seat next to him.
 Once we got there we were split into groups of 6 kids.  This allowed each child the chance to try and touch everything.  This UC student was named Mr. T and he was hilarious the kids loved him.

 We then learned all about light and sound travel.  The kids also got to try sucking in helium and making their voices sound funny. (They loved that part!)
 Then we went outside to do so many hands on experiments. The ABC news and Sunstar were there filming.  I was busy taking lots of videos I didn't get many pictures outside. 
 The kids got to make GAK which is always fun and never gets old.
 They got to make there own 7up and then be judged on whos was the best.
 While hanging outside our tour guide worked her connections and next thing we knew we were in the biology labs.  The kids learned about making their own anti bacterial gel.  We also saw how germs grow and we got to see glow in the dark plasmas.


 After our special behind the seasons tour we made it outside just in time for lunch.  The UC provided pizza for all the kids and the adults.  There were so many fun choices Carter went with plain cheese I had a really yummy slice of garlic tomato pizza.

 We then got to see all the graduate students make ice cream out of nitrogen oxide.  It was super cool!

 Then we took a big picture with all the kids and the UC students.  Look how Ms. Stapp's class copied Ms. Buttrey's shirts that I made!!! I had done the tie dye ombre look back when Aubrey was in Ms. Buttrey's class and she had asked me to do it again this year so I did them a couple of weeks ago and then Ms. Stapp decided to copy us! We were both a little annoyed since the classes are suppose to be unique. oh well!
 Then it was time to board the bus and go back to school! It was so much fun I still can't get over how much we got to do and learn about.  I really wish Aubrey could have gone with us. I felt like it was a Merced's version of the Exportorium in San Fransisco. 
 Once back in the classroom I went straight to work on the stamping of the shirts I tie dyed.  We needed to have the stamps done before the zoo trip which is the first week we get back from spring break.  I love how Carter kept the tradition on the spider hanging like what Aubrey did on her 1st grade shirt.
1st grade is my absolute favorite grade!!!

No comments: