Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Our Floors

 My dream of having hardwood floors has officially come true.  It's hard to believe sometimes that this project I have wanted to do for 9 years is completed, I sometimes have to pinch myself when I come down the stairs to my new house! Picking a floor was such a hard decision.  We laugh now because pretty much once a month we would go into a flooring store and just take a peek at what they had.  We brought home samples after samples to try but nothing worked either it was too light or too dark, to rustic or to shinny.  Plus the daunting task of removing the tile was just too much to handle.  Well we decided in January this was the year we were just going to do it.  We started researching laying a floating floor over the tile and it was actually doable.  We both really liked the color of the floor at Costco and since it was on coupon we thought what the heck lets get a box and try it.  A whole box gave us a better idea then a little a sample and we feel in love with it.  So we just went with it.  We started our project on Valentine's day and we finished the whole downstairs (except the laundry room) baseboards included on March 19th.  We were hosting Easter with Spencer's family on 3/26 so our goal was to be done by then and we made it.  When I look back I think wow how did we do all that in only a month but when we were in the process it felt like it took forever.  The hard part was most of our Saturdays were busy with basketball games so by the time we got home it was already 1 pm and we had lost the home improvement momentum that you usually have early in the morning.  I would get so stressed Saturday evenings and feel bad that we neglected our kids that afternoon but now that I think about it they had great Saturdays playing games and then coming home and playing all day in the front/back yards they also got lots of happy meal dinners.  Actually having the basketball games helped us because it guaranteed us being home on the weekends which is sometimes unusual for us.  My dad had to remind me a few times that the project will get done and to enjoy the process.  He reminded me that the kids will only be 8 and 5 once playing basketball and to not stress and miss there games this gave me a better perspective and calmed me down.  I'm not one to like being in a middle of a project I tend to speed through sometimes to get it done where as Spencer is a perfectionist and takes his time doing it right.  I'm glad he is because we finished with the most amazing final product I could ask for.  I was so proud of my hubby he put so many long hours and late nights into this project.  He always makes all my dreams come true even if they are huge hard projects.  I'm amazed at how smart he is and can figure out the tough baseboard corners or how he can learn in an afternoon how to take a toilet out and reinstall it.  He is truly a man of all traits and I feel so lucky.  If I can dream it he can do it.  It has been a blast redecorating the downstairs.  It took us a while to find a rug that we loved but we did and I just love all the colors I get to play with.  Here is our new house:  





 Here are some pictures of us working......



 The kids also got a few new Lego sets to work.

 They liked to get involve too.  
 They loved how they could slide around with their socks.



No comments: