Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Swimming Lessons

The kids just finished their 2 week long swim lessons last Thursday.  It was a GREAT experience! We decided to join the gym this summer so we have been spending lots of our days at the pool as a family.  Right before swim lessons started daddy really worked with both kids and they were starting to swim with out their floaties.  Aubrey learned really quickly and I was even considering not doing lessons for her but we decided it would be good to work on her form and the different swim strokes. 
We decided to do a private swim instruction rather than at the college or through the city.  I have been hearing about the swim instructor Mrs. Michelle for years.  The last 2 years when I went to sign up in May for June classes she would be booked all summer already.  This year I was smarter and booked our session in February for the June 16-26 session.  She was wonderful!! I now know why she books up! Her backyard looks like the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, her pool is gorgeous and she is the most calm, loving, helpful, energetic, knowledgeable swim coach ever! She really was wonderful! The kids jumped in on the first day like they have known her for their whole life and were completely comfortable. I was shocked at how quick Carter took to her and started swimming all on his own.  It was hard to sit by and watch when he would just go for it and hold his breath and swim by himself.  There were a few times I stood up worrying he couldn't catch his breath but he would always find his way to the teacher or the wall.  It was really crazy!  I think Mrs. Michelle's calmness really made my kids comfortable. There were 6 kids in the class.  the older boys were 7, Aubrey 6, another girl 5, and Carter and another girl who was 4.  Both Carter and Aubrey were the best swimmers (sorry to brag) but they were! The teacher was so impressed she inviting my kids back for a private lesson one of the nights.  
We might have a couple future Olympic swimmers on our hands!
This was the first day of class:
That's Carter swimming.....


 Aubrey swimming:

 The kids both have freestyle, butterfly and breast stroke down.  They have been working on their back floats.  I'm looking into getting them into skimmers a local swim team to keep them going with their new found passion! On the first day when Aubrey got out of the pool she says, "Mom I love swim class I never want to miss it! Not even if I'm sick." It was very fun and I can't wait to watch them blossom in their swimming as the summer continues.

No comments: