Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Health

Since Carter is 7 months today it is also 7 months since my huge ordeal so I thought it would be appropriate to let you all now what has been going on and how I'm doing. I feel great! The doctors are all very amazed and happy that I have been able to recover so quickly. I have been staying up on my medications and all my office visits I have also lost all my baby weight plus 10lbs. Since I recovered very fast and I'm running around after a 2 year old and a baby my doctor said that I didn't have to go to rehab. I have been so blessed with this great outcome. My cardiologist referred me to go to Standford for a follow up and to see if I was on the right path. They were very pleased with the care that I have been given. I have had two echo's since May. The one I had in October showed that my right side of the heart was back to normal size and the left side was just a slightly enlarged which I guess is pretty common for most everyone that just had a baby recently so he was not to worried. I also had an echo at Stanford but have not heard the results yet. The doctor at Stanford said that I'm very lucky. He has seen lots of other women that have not had this good of an outcome. Many women that have this happen have to either carry a device that keeps their heart pumping or a heart transplant. He also informed us of what exactly went wrong. When I thought I had the cold that started in February that never ended was actually the beginning of heart failure. All the swelling I experienced was heart failure. My body was basically shutting down. He said it is a lot easier to diagnose after the fact and hard to during since all of the symptoms are the same as pregnancy. The fact that I had this happen to me while I was pregnant not after is quite scary. Words can not express how very grateful that I am that I was able to survive. I'm upset that this happened and I'm mad that my OBGYN and family doctor had no idea what was going on. I guess it would have been hard for them to know but it would have made me feel better to know what exactly what was happening. I have been told that it would be very scary and risky to have another baby. This has been very hard for me to take in and to talk about. I feel a bit confused because I know that I should be so grateful for the two beautiful children that I have and the fact that I'm okay but it is a very hard thing to hear. I have always pictured having three or four and I feel I have been cut short. It's hard to have plans for your life and then have them change on you. I have to stay grateful for all I do have. I love my family more then anything. Thank you everyone for all your love and support.
I love you all!

1 comment:

Damon's Girl said...

Wow! I am so happy to hear you are doing so well! After Jonas was born we found out we couldn't have any more kids and it was heart breaking! (we wanted four of five kids!) I have had those same feelings you described exactly!!! I must say it's gotten a little better over time but it's still painful. It's frustrating to have that choice taken away from you. My thoughts are with you. -Jacey PS If you ever need a shoulder to cry on mine is there for you!