Monday, October 17, 2016

Grandpa Merv

We lost my Grandpa Merv on August 30, 2016.  He was 89 years old and I feel so blessed that I got to have him as my grandpa and that both my children got to know and love their great grandpa very much. 
I'm so grateful for the time we got to spend with grandpa and that I know he is in heaven now with his sweet heart, grandma Janie.  Grandpa Merv is my moms dad.  He was a civil engineer for the city of San Fransisco.  He spent most of his life living in Burlingame, California and moved up to Sonora to be near my parents the last 3 years of his life.  He loved football with a passion and would watch it 24/7 if he could.  His favorite team was the 49ers.  Sports and being active was his thing.  He loved running and ran 6 miles a day into his 70's.  I got to go and watch him race in the Bay to Breakers once.  He loved to travel and his favorite destination was Hawaii.  He was a sailor and owned a sail boat for a long time.  He even went on an adventure and sailed from Hawaii to San Fransisco.  They actually got lost at sea for a few days but made it home hungry and dehydrated but safe.  My grandma passed away when I was only 5 so he lived without her for 30 years! He had promised never to remarry and he never did.  He had girlfriends but I know he missed grandma Janie more than anything.  That reunion in heaven must have been magical.  Grandpa was a mans man and we would laugh because every time Spencer went in to give him a hug he would stretch his hand out for a hand shake.  Grandpa and Carter had a strong connection.  I think it was their love for sports.  Carter was always asking about great grandpa and wanting to make him stuff all time.  Here are a few of my favorite pictures I have of my grandpa......  





 This was our last picture I have of him on 7/28.  After that visit he had a heart attack and was in the hospital.   
 Easter 2016
Christmas 2015

Thanksgiving 2015

 Christmas 2014



This was Easter 2008 great grandpa meeting Aubrey for the first time.

This was at Joan's (grandpa's girlfriend) 80th birthday party May 2008 
Meeting Carter for the first time June 2010

My Wedding day
Here are some pictures of me and my grandpa when I was a baby.


 It was very hard to lose my grandpa.  We loved him very much and will miss him.  He was always kind and generous to his family.  It's sad that all my grandparents are gone to heaven now but happy that they are with each other for eternity  We are in the process of planning grandpa's celebration of life.  We miss you and love you very much grandpa!

No comments: