Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The week of Valentine's day

In between Aubrey's real birthday and her party we had Valentine's Day parties at both schools.  I think I have mentioned this before....I'm realizing that any holiday is not really just that one day anymore.  The holiday turns into entire week and sometimes even a month.  I love it and always have way too much fun and go way too overboard.  I love how much my kids love holidays.  Valentine’s Day bingo and don't eat Val never get old.  Also all the crafts and projects for school and at home are just so fun! I keep waiting for the year that my kids ask me to do the store bought Valentine's cards.  I thought for sure this would be the year that they would bag for Frozen or Star Wars but no they were very excited to do homemade ones again.  Aubrey got one of those mini mazes in a party favor bag at the last party she went to and has loved it so when we found them at Target in a big multi pack both her and Carter wanted to give them out to their friends.

 Since Valentine's Day usually falls on President's weekend Aubrey was lucky to get Thursday-Monday off.  Her Vday party was on Wednesday 2/10.
Carter had Friday-Monday off so his party was on Thursday 2/11 but his Valentine's box was due on Wednesday.  Carter got his box assignment the last week of January and it said to involve the whole family, use lots of materials and get very creative.  I thought gosh they sure are giving us a lot of time for this project I guess it's got to be a pretty fancy box.  We asked Carter what he wanted and his answer "BB8 from Star Wars" I racked my mind on how to make a circular box and this is what we came up with.....
I was pretty proud of us! Not only because it looked so cool but because we did all work on it together and we managed to make it in between all our other stuff going on.  We did paper mache on balloons.  We waited a few days and then popped the balloons and then glued it together.  Then came the fun part of painting it.  The kids pretty much did every step and then I stepped in for the detailed paint job. 
 Carter was so proud to take it to school on Wednesday.
 Back at Peterson.....I was there all day.  It was such a fun party day.  Fisrt up passing out their cards.

Then it was project time.  The Friday before Mrs. Haar and I were talking and I told her how much I love crafts and party planning and then she said  "oh great can you come up with a craft for our classroom Valentine's day party?"  Sure why not I have nothing else going on lol!  And talk about last minute.  Also I already had Spencer breathing down my neck for all the Hobby Lobby charges all month long that I was making for Aubrey's party.  So I had to think of something inexpensive, fun, and cute.  I came up with these cute Valentine wreaths.  I used lots of old scrap book paper, construction paper, paper plates, glue and strings.  They came out darling and the kids loved it.


 Once we finished our project it was time for lunch.  I was just going to leave and get Carter and go home but Mrs. Haar and Aubrey insisted that I get Carter and bring him back for the afternoon activities of eating junk food and watching a movie.

 and so I did...
 He had fun hanging with the 2nd graders.  All the kids loved him and treated him like a little baby he loved the attention.  When we came home we read all Aubrey's cards.

 They also do candy grams at Peterson.  Aubrey got 2 of them one from us and the other one from Kendall.  She also bought 3 with her own money one for Mrs. Haar, Kendall and one for Carter that she saved to give him on the real day, so cute!!
  After her party was done we could now concentrated on Carter's.  I was happy they had parties on different days it made it a little less stressful.  Carter made all his cards for his friends.

 Thursday 2/11 was finally here for him and he was very excited.
 For all the teachers I made my Valentine chex mix.  That stuff is so good!
 It was kind of strange just taking Carter to school that morning.  Aubrey was excited to sleep in and drive him to school in her PJ's.
 Once we dropped him off we came home to get ready and then before his party we had to run to the mall for some party things.
 Then we made it to his party.  Aubrey was excited that she was invited to come and help also.  Our first job was making Valentine floats out of vanilla ice cream, strawberry soda and then red vines as straws.  They were yummy!! My picky eater only wanted the red vine!

They then had snacks.  I wsh i got a better picture of the snacks they were all so cute.
Then they played bingo.  Aubrey got to pull the cards out and read them she was thrilled.
 After bingo we played don't eat Val.  All the kids loved it!
 It was then time to pass out their cards.  
That afternoon we had fun reading all Carter's cards and reflexting on both parties.  How lucky that they both got to be involved in both school parties.  It made for a very happy mommy!
 Thursday night we went to Costco to get all the food for the party and we did it......
 We bought 37 boxs of wood floors! I guess it's really happening now!

It was so nice to have Friday off for both kids.  We spent the day getting ready for the big party the next day.  We had cleaning, baking and decorating to do.  We also fit in some basketball and some French paintings for samples at the party.  These artist just kill me!
 Aubrey really wanted a slumber party this year and I'm just not ready for that nor I'm I ready for her to go to slumber parties so I told her she could have her BFF over the night before her party.  She was thrilled! It was fun having Kendall over.  She helped with some of the party stuff.
 Then they had a PJ party with their American girl dolls eating pizza watching Grace Stirs Up Success (an American gil movie in Paris, how perfect!) 

 As you can see it was a ton of fun!
 I was excited because I got to have a slumber party too with my sister!!!
 We are so grateful that Titi comes over so offten and that she can make any cake that I can vision! As you will see in the party post up next Titi deserves a metal for her cakes!!!
The girls had fun sleeping in the movie room and to my suprise they didn't stay up that late.  Titi and I did talking and doing our nails.
Saturday morning (party day) we woke up bright and early to greet grandma and grandpa and then hurred over to the basketball games.  Good thing we were all done by noon since her party was at 1pm.
 It so awesome that we have had both our parents get to see the kids play.
Up next is the party post but I thought I would tie in Valentines day to this post.  
Titi helped me heart attac the house that lead the kids down stairs to their goodies.



Spencer suprised me with all my favorite treats and beautiful flowers.

  The best present ever was starting my floors!! We begain the construction on Valentine's day!  I still wanted the day to be special for the kids so we had a dinner picnic amongst the construction.

 On Monday the kids got their Valentine's in the mail from Nana and Papa.

What a lovely week.  I love Valentine's day.  It was a bit crazy this year with the party and the floors but for sure one of the best with lots of fun memories.

No comments: