Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Hawaii Day 4

Hawaii day 4 was amazing!!! We were both really looking forward to this day because it was our zip lining day up in North Shore.  We woke up early got ready and then walked over to the rental car place. The place was just a short walk from our hotel.  It was raining a little bit so it made for a fun walk in the rain.
It felt so awesome having a car and driving the streets of Waikiki.  But honestly we didn't really miss having a car since we had everything in walking distance but it was a cool feeling that we could just go that much further and explore.  I had found on Pinterest that the malasadas at Leonard's were to die for so that was our breakfast to take on the road that day.



Um, yummy!!!! Yes they were as great as I read they where.  We had to try all different ones so we got the traditional, cinnamon sugar, some kind of spicy one (local favorite), Chocolate filled, coconut filled, and the special of the day guava filled.  All where yummy!!! I  think my fav's were the cinnamon, traditional and coconut.
The drive to North Shore was so pretty! Spencer kept saying, "why are you not taking more pictures?" I was just so blown away by the beauty and just wanted to enjoy.  But I did get a few!

There was off and on rain which was really cool.  I thought to myself lets just do it and move here! The way of life seems so relaxed but I think I would get island fever and miss our families.  
It was nice that we left early enough to truly enjoy the drive up the coast line.  We pulled over and stopped a few times.  We though this little mountain in the distance was cool.  
I also was really drawn to this mountain and the Pier in front of it.  Come to find out that is where the movie 50 first Dates was filmed!! One of my all time favorite movies so that was pretty cool.
In our travels we stumbled upon Kualoa Ranch so we got out of the car to check it out.
Lots of movies and T.V. shows are filmed there.

The also had horses and other fun stuff to check out at the ranch.  
We saw so many gorgeous beaches up the coast line!!!
We then passed the Polynesian Culture Center (where we would be going on Monday) so we knew that BYU Hawaii and the temple were close so we did a detour to go check those out.  BYU Hawaii was pretty awesome and we have decided that both Aubrey and Carter should go there and that we will follow and live on the island with them :) Not to sure how they will feel about that plan! The temple we beautiful and we hope that next time we visit we can go to a session and see the inside.
We then made it to Climb Works in  Keana Farms for our zip lining. 

This place was AMAZING!!!! I guess they are pretty new to Oahu I think they said that they have been open for 18 months at this location.  I can't express how awesome this place was.  It was new, hip, fun, exciting just a wonderful day!! All of the staff were so nice and funny.  They got us all suited up for our 3 hour zip lining tour.

There where 9 other people in our group and we had 3 tour guides.  We started with a mini zip line for practice.  It was kind of scary at first well actually every zip was kind of scary at first but it was a fun accelerating scared feeling.
After the practice zip we jumped on an ATV for a ride up the mountain.  It was an awesome ride.  This was a working farm so it was fun listening to the guide tell us about the different crops that grew there.

Our Gopro videos are pretty long and I have no idea how to edit them.  It's fun to just fast forward through them. 
 Our group of people on the tour with us were all different ages and from all over the US,  it was a fun group.  All of our guides were so knowledgeable of the Hawaiian culture and taught us some really interesting facts about Hawaii.



 We did a total of 8 zips and then we got to go on a few rope bridges.  we also got to repel and do kind of a free fall off a plat form.  The way it was all set up was very cool.  We also had lots of hiking and climbing.  They would have water stations set up right at the spots that you would think man I need some water lol.  They also had different snacks with the fruit and the vegetables that they grow on the farm. We also got to crack open some macadamia nuts.






 It was so awesome!! Our most favorite adventure for sure.  I can't wait to do it again someday and to do it with the kids they would love it too!
While on the tour the guides recommended the food trucks up the road for lunch.  We also read on yelp that they were to not be missed so we went and enjoyed garlic shrimp, rice and pasta salad from 1 truck and a traditional Korean BBQ plate from another truck.   


The shrimp truck had sharpies for people to sign the truck.
After lunch we did some souvenir shopping right there by all the trucks.  When I was little my grandma Janie and Grandpa Merv would go to Hawaii a lot and I remember one time they came home with a Hawaiian moo moo (comfortable dress) for me.  It was my most favorite dress to wear! So I really wanted to find Aubrey a dress. I found a cute purple one at this particular stand.
Also on our zip line I had mentioned I was disappointed in our snorkel trip and the guided recommend Sharks cove (I think I may have gone there with my family back in 2005??) anyways we ended up buying a snorkel and doing some snorkeling on our own there.  The fish were much better there.  The videos don't really do it justice.  It was a fun spot and I felt good that we got to see some colorful fish.


Then we started our drive back home to Waikiki.  We were so happy to see that the Dole plantation was still open so we stopped there to walk around and indulged in the worlds best dessert ever!!! A dole whip and a dole whip float.  OMG I love desserts and will save every calorie I have in a day for only desserts but this treat was better then any dessert I have had it was simply the BEST.  We have had Dole whips before at Disneyland but something about a pineapple dole whip in Hawaii was just out of this world.  
Spencer was excited that he had his Dole shirt on that day!  
 We walked the plantation after our treats.

 Then we did some shopping in the store.  We got our Hawaii Christmas ornament there.  
How cute is this:
When we were leaving we diced that we needed another whip!! We were that in love.
We stopped and did some some shopping for treats and waters and then we got back to our hotel.  We laid down on our bed and crashed! We didn't even do dinner that night lol we were so exhausted from such a fun day!!

No comments: